Manchester United Foundation works in some of the most disadvantaged areas across Greater Manchester, taking Manchester United to the heart of the community.
The Foundation delivers a wide range of educational, football, leadership and personal development programmes designed to develop young people to achieve their potential.
The main responsibility of this role will be to assist the Head of Sports Science in developing and delivering our Strength and Conditioning and Sports Science programme to the players in line with the Manchester United Foundation FA Girls’ RTC technical programme. The sports scientist / Strength and Conditioning Coach will be required to build strong relationships with the multi-disciplinary team to provide the best support programme for every player.
- Assist in the development and delivery of a movement, strength & conditioning and sports science programme to the players in our Girls’ RTC (Under-10 to Under-16)
- Delivery of group Movement, Strength and Conditioning to all age groups
- Perform physical testing at regular intervals throughout the season to monitor and assess each player
- Work efficiently with other support staff, including physiotherapist/medical/Well-being services, to provide an integrated approach to performance enhancement
- Help provide match analysis with the U14 and U16 teams weekly and include analysis for individual players where required
- Provide individual and group nutrition strategies to improve players’ understanding and performance
- The welfare of players within their designated age group
- Provide in-service training where necessary to educate coaching staff, players and parents
- Develop and manage effective working relationships with all RTC senior management team and colleagues.
- Work with the Head of Girls Football Development and the Technical Director to ensure all monitoring and evaluation requirements are being met .
- Support the development and management of effective working relationships with key stakeholders including but not limited to Manchester United Women and The FA.
- Provide regular verbal and written reports to the Head of Girls Football Development as determined by the latter.
- Ensure the maintenance of registers, collect all relevant data, information and evidence including via use of the PMA system as directed by Head of Girls Football Development and/or the Technical Director.
- Ensure that the Foundation’s code of conduct is upheld in all activities, delivery and physical appearance.
- Uphold and promote the Foundation’s Safeguarding policy and those of partners, working in conjunction with both Manchester United FC’s Safeguarding team and partner leads.
- Complete relevant parts of all player reviews.
- Ensure all equipment is fit for purpose and deployed accordingly.
- Undertake personal development as and when required by Manchester United Foundation.
- Attend all training sessions and home and away matches.
- Collect all relevant data, information and evidence of good practice to support funding conditions and for the formulation of case studies.
- Undertake any other reasonable duty as may be assigned that is consistent with the purpose of the role and its level of responsibility, including the need to work flexible hours and travel.
Education & Qualification:
- Qualification at degree level in sports science or related area
- UK Strength and Conditioning Association accreditation (or working towards)
- FA Emergency Aid certificate
- Knowledge and understanding of child protection issues including holding a current FA Safeguarding Children Workshop certificate
- A full UK driving licence (or recognised equivalent)
- Strong functional skills in Mathematics and English.
- MSc in a sports science discipline
- Relevant other qualification/courses
- An accepted DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service)
- Motivated and passionate about high performance sport
- Knowledge and ability to construct strength, power and endurance-based training programme (both gym- and field-based)
- Experience in developing, implementing and evaluating S&C programme within an elite youth setting
- An understanding of I.T. and ability to use computer based programmes to fulfill the role of the job
- Ability to problem solve, make decisions and adapt session plans working under pressure and within strict time frames
- Willingness to work weekends and training events when required
- Experience of scoping, delivering, monitoring and evaluating a range of coaching sessions.
- Own transport
- Knowledge of and ability to coach and integrate football skills and techniques into S&C sessions where appropriate
- Experience in GPS/Match Analysis
- Experience in Performance Nutrition
- Knowledge and understanding of working with young players
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Experience in presenting and delivering feedback to individuals and large groups
- Understanding of the FA Girls’ England Talent Pathway
- Knowledge and experience of player welfare and long term player development.
- Experience of using the PMA system..
- Proven ability of engaging with parents/guardians
- Emotional intelligence.
- A passion for working with children, young people and hard to reach groups.
- Charismatic individual who brings life and energy to their delivery.
- Ability to be a positive role model.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Ability to adapt and diversify delivery in programmes/sessions.
- Inclusive leadership skills.
- Innovative and able to convert difficulties into successes.
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and as a team member.
- Forward planner.
- Effective communication skills (written, verbal and listening).
- Excellent digital skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programmes.